|Call Number||DA 670 W5 C69|
|Series Title||Magna Britannia et Hibernia, antiqua & nova. Or, a new survey of Great Britain, ... Collected and composed by an impartial hand. ...|
|Title Page Quotation|
|Imprint||[England : S.n, 173-?]|
|Publication Date||1730 // - on the sp|
|SFU Catalogue Original Bibliography||45 p. : map. 17 x 23 cm. Quarter bound in calf, marbled boards.|
|Digital Object URL|
|Bibliographic Notes||Bound in paper; Handwritten note at front says “From ‘The New Description & State of England” 1701/4” [?], and “ ‘Mini’ Morden map” “£85”; Folding map at inserted at front (very soft paper, diff than the rest); Some pencil markings throughout; Title on spine is stamped on a separate piece of material and then glued on – there is no separate title page inside with date, etc.; title on spine is "Cox's Westmorland." On the first page, the heading is Westmorland (as in the scan in the original biblio), and at bottom it indicated Vol. VI; The last page appears to be a table of distances, with a decorative drawing; Looks like someone has written on the map.|
The identity of the “impartial hand” that composed Westmorland is uncertain (vol. 6 title page; ECCO, which also lists Thomas Cox as the author). In 1768 antiquarian Richard Gough attributed the work to Thomas Cox, vicar of Broomfield, Essex, (1685–1733), but he may have confused the vicar with Thomas Cox the bookseller, whose name appears on the title page of Volume 6. Revd Anthony Hall (1679–1723), sublibrarian of the Bodleian, may also have contributed to the early issues, but he is nowhere explicitly mentioned in the text (Gordan 253). What is certain is that Westmorland contains a map of the county by Robert Morden (d. 1703), a well-known London maker of maps, charts, and globes, whose maps of the English counties helped standardize place names at the turn of the eighteenth century. A handwritten note at the front of SFU’s copy claims the map originated from The New Description & State of England (1701/4), and, indeed, the maps look the same.
Westmorland begins with a brief geographical and historical overview of the county, then proceeds alphabetically with descriptions of towns, hamlets, lordships, manors and estates including Ambleside, Grasmere, Kendal, Lonsdale, and Troutbeck. The text contains sections on “gentlemen of note,” natural history, and ecclesiastical history of the county. The reader learns, for example, that the town of Appleby, thinly populated and “memorable for nothing but its Antiquity and Situation” (3), nevertheless had the best corn market in the region. One of its inhabitants “of great worth,” Christopher Bambridge, was made Cardinal of St. Praxis by the Pope, but he made the mistake of caning his steward (“an Italian”), who poisoned him to exact revenge. Anecdotes and tales of this sort would become a standard feature of later Lake District guides. Accompanying the text are four small illustrations of rare antiquities, including Roman inscriptions on stone and a Saxon coin, as well as two tables. One of the tables shows each town, the wards and deaneries to which they belong, and their valuation by both “King’s books” and “Real.” The other charts relays distances between places. Antiquities, charts, maps, and tables would also become staples of the Lake District guidebook. The SFU LDC copy of Westmorland is an individually bound part in paper, with no separate title page; the title has been glued onto the spine. There are some pencil markings throughout.
|Illustrations||Black and White Only|
|Digital Copy Holders|